1 an important question that is in dispute and must be settled; "the issue could be settled by requiring public education for everyone"; "politicians never discuss the real issues"
2 one of a series published periodically; "she found an old issue of the magazine in her dentist's waitingroom" [syn: number]
3 the provision of something by issuing it (usually in quantity); "a new issue of stamps"; "the last issue of penicillin was over a month ago" [syn: issuing, issuance]
4 some situation or event that is thought about; "he kept drifting off the topic"; "he had been thinking about the subject for several years"; "it is a matter for the police" [syn: topic, subject, matter]
5 supplies (as food or clothing or ammunition) issued by the government [syn: military issue, government issue]
6 the immediate descendants of a person; "she was the mother of many offspring"; "he died without issue" [syn: offspring, progeny]
7 a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon; "the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"; "his decision had depressing consequences for business"; "he acted very wise after the event" [syn: consequence, effect, outcome, result, event, upshot]
8 the income arising from land or other property; "the average return was about 5%" [syn: return, proceeds, take, takings, yield, payoff]
9 the becoming visible; "not a day's difference between the emergence of the andrenas and the opening of the willow catkins" [syn: emergence, egress]
10 an opening that permits escape or release; "he blocked the way out"; "the canyon had only one issue" [syn: exit, outlet, way out]
11 the act of issuing printed materials [syn: publication]
1 prepare and issue for public distribution or sale; "publish a magazine or newspaper" [syn: publish, bring out, put out, release]
2 circulate or distribute or equip with; "issue a new uniform to the children"; "supply blankets for the beds" [syn: supply] [ant: recall]
3 bring out an official document (such as a warrant)
4 come out of; "Water issued from the hole in the wall"; "The words seemed to come out by themselves" [syn: emerge, come out, come forth, go forth, egress]
5 make out and issue; "write out a check"; "cut a ticket"; "Please make the check out to me" [syn: write out, make out, cut]
EtymologyFrom issue, eissue (a way out or exit), from exire, go out, from prefix ex-, out of plus ire go.
- /ˈɪsju/ or /ˈɪʃu/
- The act of passing or flowing out; a moving out from any enclosed place; egress; as, the issue of water from a pipe, of blood from a wound, of air from a bellows, of people from a house.
- The act of sending out, or causing to go forth; delivery; issuance; as, the issue of an order from a commanding officer; the issue of money from a treasury.
- That which passes, flows, or is sent out; the whole quantity sent forth or emitted at one time; as, an issue of bank notes; the daily issue of a newspaper.
- Progeny; a child or children; offspring. In law, sometimes, in a general sense, all persons descended from a common ancestor; all lineal descendants.
- Member of a Mestee group originating in Amherst County, VA. The Issues are now known as the Monacan Indians.
- Produce of the earth, or profits of land, tenements, or other property; as, A conveyed to B all his right for a term of years, with all the issues, rents, and profits.
- A discharge of flux, as of blood. Matt. ix. 20.
- An artificial ulcer, usually made in the fleshy part of the arm or leg, to produce the secretion and discharge of pus for the relief of some affected part.
- The final outcome or result; upshot; conclusion; event; hence, contest; test; trial.
- A point in debate or controversy on which the parties take affirmative and negative positions; a presentation of alternatives between which to choose or decide.
- In pleading, a single material point of law or fact depending in the suit, which, being affirmed on the one side and denied on the other, is presented for determination. At issue, in controversy; disputed; opposing or contesting; hence, at variance; disagreeing; inconsistent.
- A financial instrument in a company, such as a bond, stock or other security; the emission of such an instrument.
- Euphemism for "problem" or "concern,"
- "He has health issues."
The act of passing or flowing out; a moving out from any inclosed place; egress
he act of sending out, or causing to go forth; delivery; issuance
- Portuguese: emissão
Progeny; a child or children; offspring
Produce of the earth, or profits of land, tenements, or other property
A discharge of flux
(medicine) An artificial ulcer
The final outcome or result; upshot; conclusion; event; hence, contest; test; trial
A point in debate or controversy on which the parties take affirmative and negative positions
(law) In pleading, a single material point of law or fact depending in the suit, which, being affirmed on the one side and denied on the other, is presented for determination
(finance) A financial instrument in a company, such as a bond, stock or other security; the emission of such an instrument
- To pass or flow out; to run out, as from any enclosed place.
- To go out; to rush out; to sally forth; as, troops issued from the town, and attacked the besiegers.
- To proceed, as from a source; as, water issues from springs; light issues from the sun.
- To proceed, as progeny; to be derived; to be descended; to spring.
- To extend; to pass or open; as, the path issues into the highway.
- To be produced as an effect or result; to grow or accrue; to arise; to proceed; as, rents and profits issuing from land, tenements, or a capital stock.
- To close; to end; to terminate; to turn out; as, we know not how the cause will issue.
- In pleading, to come to a point in fact or law, on which the parties join issue.
- To send out; to put into circulation; as, to issue notes from a bank.
- To deliver for use; as, to issue provisions.
- To send out officially; to deliver by authority; as, to issue an order; to issue a writ.
To go out; to rush out; to sally forth
To proceed, as from a source; as, water issues from springs; light issues from the sun
To proceed, as progeny; to be derived; to be descended; to spring
To extend; to pass or open
To be produced as an effect or result; to grow or accrue; to arise; to proceed
To close; to end; to terminate; to turn out
(law) In pleading, to come to a point in fact or law, on which the parties join issue
To send out; to put into circulation
- Finnish: laskea liikkeelle
To deliver for use
- Finnish: jakaa
To send out officially; to deliver by authority
Issue may refer to:
- A single instance of a serial publication, such as a journal, magazine or newspaper
- An instance of raising funds through financial instruments
- Issue (legal), a legal term with several meanings
- An old term for offspring
- An old term for menstruation or other bodily discharge (e.g. in Bible verse |Leviticus|13|HE)
- Issue (computers), a unit of work to accomplish an improvement in a data system
- @issue, Canadian talk show
- Issue tracking system, computer software
The plural issues may refer to:
issue in French: Sortie
issue in Simple English: Issue
accomplishment, accord, activity, administer, affair, afford, airing, allot, allow, announce, answer, appear, argue, arise, artifact, ascertainment, at issue, attend, award, back number, bail out, bandying, basis, be born, be off, become, become manifest, become of, become public, become visible, bench mark, bestow, bestow on, bestrew, birth, bone of contention, book, brainchild, break, break cover, break forth, break out, break through, breakout, breed, bring out, broadcast, broadcasting, brood, bruiting, bruiting about, burden, burst forth, buzz about, by-product, campaign, cardinal point, case, catechism, cause, chapter, chief thing, child, children, circulate, circulation, circumfuse, clearing up, climax, coinage, collection, come, come about, come after, come forth, come forward, come in sight, come of, come out, come to be, come to hand, come to light, commitment, communicate, composition, concern, conclusion, concoction, confer, consequence, consequent, consummation, contend, controversy, copy, core, cornerstone, corollary, course, cracking, creation, creature, crisis, critical point, crop out, crop up, cross-interrogatory, cross-question, crowning achievement, crusade, crux, culmination, daughters, deal, deal out, debating point, debouch, debouchment, decipherment, declaration of policy, declare, decoding, deliver, deliverance, delivery, demand, demonetize, denouement, derivation, derivative, descendants, descent, determination, devaluate, devalue, develop, development, diffract, diffuse, diffusion, disagree, disburse, discharge, disembogue, disentanglement, dish out, dispense, disperse, displace, display, dispose, dispread, dispute, disseminate, dissemination, distillate, distillation, distribute, distribution, diverge, dole, dole out, donate, drive, ebb, edition, effect, efflux, effuse, egress, emanate, emanation, emerge, emergence, emersion, emission, emit, end, end product, end result, engrave, ensue, enter, erupt, escape, escapism, essence, essential, essential matter, evasion, event, eventuality, eventuate, eventuation, evulgation, exit, explanation, extend, extract, extrication, extrude, extrusion, fade in, faith, fall out, family, fan out, fare, feeler, fight, find vent, finding, finding-out, flight, float, flood, flotation, flow, flow back, flow in, flow out, flush, fly about, focus of attention, focus of interest, folks, follow, follow after, follow up, fork out, freeing, fruit, fundamental, get, get about, get abroad, get afloat, get around, get exposure, get off, get out, get to be, getaway, gift, gift with, gist, give, give forth, give freely, give off, give out, go about, go after, go forth, go public, go the rounds, grandchildren, grant, gravamen, great cause, great point, great-grandchildren, gush, hand out, handiwork, harvest, have currency, have origin, head, heading, heap, heart, hearth, heave in sight, hectograph, heirs, help to, high point, homefolks, hostages to fortune, house, household, impart, important thing, impress, impression, imprint, in dispute, inheritors, inquiry, interest, interpretation, interrogation, interrogative, interrogatory, invention, irrupt, issuance, issue forth, issue stock, issuing, jailbreak, jump out, kernel, keynote address, keynote speech, keystone, kids, landmark, lavish, leader, leading question, leak, leak out, leakage, legacy, let have, liberation, library, library edition, lifework, lineage, little ones, living issue, logical outcome, look forth, loom, main point, main thing, make, manufacture, mass movement, masterpiece, masterwork, material point, materialize, matter, matter in hand, measure out, meat, menage, mete, mete out, milestone, mimeograph, mintage, moot point, motif, motive, movement, multigraph, new generation, new mintage, nub, number, nut, offer, offshoot, offspring, ooze out, opera, oppose, opus, opuscule, originate, origination, outcome, outcrop, outflow, outgoing, outgrowth, outlet, outset, outstart, overprint, overscatter, oversow, overspread, overtake, pan out, parcel out, party platform, pass around, pay out, peep out, people, periodical, pith, pivot, plank, platform, point, point at issue, point in question, portion out, posterity, pour, precipitate, present, principle, print, printing, prisonbreak, problem, proceed, proclaim, proclamation, product, production, proffer, progeniture, progeny, program, promulgate, promulgation, proof, propagate, propagation, protrude, prove, prove to be, publication, publish, publishing, pull, pull a proof, put forth, put out, put to bed, put to press, query, question, question at issue, question mark, quodlibet, radiate, rain, real issue, rear its head, reason, reason for being, regurgitate, reissue, release, remonetize, render, replace, reprint, rescue, resolution, resolving, result, resultant, retail, revalue, riddance, riddling, rise, rising generation, rubric, run out, rush, salient point, sally, sally forth, scatter, school edition, scions, see the light, seed, send forth, sequel, sequela, sequence, sequent, series, serve, set, set forth, set forward, set off, set out, setting-free, shell out, show, show up, shower, sine qua non, slip, snow, solution, solving, sons, sorting out, sow, sow broadcast, splay, spoon out, spread, spread about, spread like wildfire, spread out, spreading, spreading abroad, spring, spring up, stamp, start, start off, start out, stem, stock issue, stream, stream forth, strew, strike, strike out, strike the eye, subject, subject matter, subject of thought, substance, substantive point, succeed, succession, supervene, surface, surfacing, surge, surge back, take birth, take exception, take issue, take rise, telecasting, tender, terminate, text, the bottom line, the point, theme, throw off, topic, track, trade book, trade edition, trail, treasures, trend, trial balloon, turn out, turn up, turning point, uncertain, unfold, unraveling, unresolved, unriddling, unscrambling, unsettled, unspinning, untangling, untwisting, unweaving, upshot, utter, vent, ventilation, version, vexed question, volume, vouchsafe, work, work out, working, working-out, yield, young, younglings, youngsters